Many people love suede boots because they are elegant, comfortable, and can be worn with just about anything. But the one problem that many people have is how to waterproof suede boots. We will discuss some ways to protect your suede boots so you don’t have to worry about them anymore!
What are Suede Boots
Suede is a material that has soft, flat hair on one side and smooth leather on the other. This material is used to make shoes, purses, and other accessories.
What Causes Suede Boots to be Wet
Shoes can become wet due to rain or snow, which can cause them to deteriorate faster than normal since they’re made of natural materials instead of synthetics. Even if you don’t get your shoes wet outside, it’s still possible for sweat from the feet inside the shoe to make suede boots damp over time!
How To Waterproof Suede Boots
There are many ways to waterproof suede boots and shoes. One way is by using a sealant, which helps keep the suede fabric from absorbing water in wet conditions.
- Wash the suede boots with soap and water.
- Let them dry completely before moving on to their next treatment.
- Apply a waterproofer or protector spray (waterproofing will last longer than just using a protector). You can find these at your local shoe repair store, where they also sell sprays for shoes made from rubber, vinyl, leather, and more. These are not expensive so you may want to pick up one for all of your booties in case any of them have become scuffed or scratched in the future.
- Be sure that it is safe to use on suedes if this product recommends against it! Spray about six inches away from the garment, wait 15 minutes before proceeding onto coat with sealant over your suede.
- Make sure to allow your shoes to dry for several hours before wearing them or storing them away in a bag.
- These two methods should be enough. For white stitching, you only need method one. But you can use a wax pencil if you want. For colored stitching first, apply bleach pen then after polishing apply wax pencil.
- You will need an hour minimum after washing your boots with soap and water followed by letting them air out on a towel in order to ensure there is no dampness left from condensation before applying sealant spray/waterproofer over your entire bootie.
- It’s best not to use a cleaning product that has harsh chemicals in it, such as benzene, acetone or ammonia on your suede boots. These products can remove the natural oils from your shoes which may lead to irreversible damage.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is the Best Way to Waterproof Suede Boots?
It is difficult to answer this question because it depends on the type of suede boots that you are trying to waterproof.
If you are looking for an inexpensive and easy way to waterproof your suede boots, then use a spray bottle filled with water and apply the mixture to the leather of your boots. You can also use a vacuum cleaner with a wet/dry attachment or a handheld carpet sweeper to clean your boots before applying the mixture.
Can You Treat Suede to Be Waterproof?
Suede is not waterproof, but it can be treated to be water-resistant.
There are two ways to make suede water resistant:
- Use a coat of liquid suede protector that is applied with a brush or spray bottle, and then allow the product to dry for about 15 minutes before wearing the shoe.
- Apply a layer of Clear Suede Sealer over the entire shoe using an applicator brush, allowing the product to dry for about 30 minutes before wearing the shoe.
Will Scotchgard Protect Suede Boots?
Scotchgard will not protect suede boots. Suede is a natural material that needs to be treated with care, as it can easily be damaged. Scotchgard is great for protecting synthetic materials like leather and vinyl but cannot provide the same protection against damage from chemicals or oils.
Will Suede Boots Get Ruined in the Rain?
Suede boots will get ruined in the rain, but not if they are designed to resist water. There are a few ways to do this, such as using rubber, plastic, or felt on the upper part of the boot that is in contact with your foot.
Can I Use Leather Protector on Suede?
A leather protector is a special type of protection that can be applied to any kind of leather. The way it works is by using the polymers that are used in leather protectors, which soak into the leather and form a barrier against water, dirt, grime, or stains. It has been designed for use on suede.