Last updated on January 3rd, 2022
If you want to wear shoes that are different and stand out from the crowd, then this article is for you. We will go over all of the steps on how to splatter paint on shoes at home. You can do this with any type of shoe or material; however, we recommend starting with a canvas sneaker because they offer more surface area for painting.
Materials You Need
- Scrap fabric
- Mask Tape
- A canvas sneaker (optional)
- Acrylic Paint (choose any color!)
- A paintbrush or sponge brush (optional)
- Newspaper to protect your work surface from the splattered paint
Steps to Follow on How to Splatter Paint on Shoes
- Wrap up one sneaker in scrap fabric and tape it tightly around the shoe so that you can get a clean coat on without painting all over everything else. This will also help avoid ruining more than one pair at once if they are too close together, which is especially helpful for those who only have two pairs of shoes as I do!
Note:when taping down whatever material you’re using, make sure there’s plenty of coverage because this will be touching your wet paint.
2. Pour some paints into separate containers; each color should stay in its own little cup. I would recommend picking up a few colors and keeping them in the same tube or container, so you don’t have to worry about shaking it before each use!
3. Line your canvas with some newspaper as if working on any other paint job. This will help protect whatever surface is underneath from getting covered in splatter or drips of wet paint that may happen while painting shoes.
4. Take out one shoe at a time, dip your brush into the color of choice, then start tapping off excess paint on the side of its corresponding cup/tube (don’t forget to change brushes for different colors). Try not to shake too much when pouring because liquid acrylics can be very thick and difficult to work with when they’ve been shaken.
5. Now, take the brush and start tapping it on different spots of your shoe, gradually getting more intense with each tap until you’ve achieved a desired amount of splatter!
6. Allow shoes to dry for at least two hours before doing anything else. This will allow time for any acrylic paint that is still wet to be absorbed into material like canvas or leather and not have an effect on what’s underneath when it dries.
7. Once dried, remove the newspaper from the surface if needed then admire your work! Congratulations, Your sneakers are now ready to wear in style.
Tips for Splatter Painting
- Try mixing two different colors of paints together before painting on shoes to create a design you like! You can also try adding other materials such as glitter or metallic powders to make them more unique.
- Do not use acrylics because they cannot withstand high heat and will melt off in the sun. Acrylics are best used indoors with artificial light; however, latex is better for outdoors and should be applied thickly.
- The lighter the shoe material, the brighter your design will be since it has a better chance of showing up.
- The more coats you apply, the longer it will last and the brighter your design will be!
- In order to create great-looking artwork without spending too much money, try experimenting with spray paints instead of setting up expensive projects which can take hours to complete.
Frequently Asked Question
What Is the Best Way to Paint Shoes?
This is a pretty difficult question with no real answer. How to paint shoes depends on your taste, time frame, and budget for the project.
What Types of Paints Work Well for This Task?
For this task, you can use any type of paint that will adhere to the shoe.
How Long Does it Take?
This article does not take into account drying time because different paints dry at different rates. In general, though, painting shoes takes about an hour and a half for each pair.”
What Advice Would You Give to Someone Who Wants To Paint Shoes?
The best advice would be to find multiple tutorials on how to paint your shoes so you can choose which one is the most appropriate for your needs. If you are looking for something quick and easy, make sure it doesn’t matter if they look sloppy or not! Painting shoes with chalkboard paint is definitely something worth considering since it dries quickly and is easy to clean off.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can You Use Multi Surface Paint on Shoes?
Yes, you can use multi-surface paint on shoes. You need to prepare the surface of your shoe by spraying it with a coat of primer and then applying a coat of paint. This will help create an even layer that is easy to work with when painting on another color.
It is also recommended that you use some sealant or varnish after painting your shoes to prevent the colors from rubbing off or peeling off.
What Are Painting Techniques?
There are many painting techniques that can be used to produce different effects. Some of the more common ones include:
- Dry brushing – This technique is very similar to using a pencil and paper, but it’s typically done with oil paint on a palette or board. The artist uses a dry brush, which is usually made from natural bristles like those found in hog bristle or boar hair, to pick up paint and apply it to the canvas.
- Impasto – This technique involves thick layers of paint that are applied quickly onto the surface of the canvas with a large flat brush called an impasto brush.
- Chiaroscuro – This technique involves mixing light and dark areas on the canvas to create depth and texture. It can also be used as a way to create an illusion of three dimensions by creating shadows on objects or adding dimension through shading.
Does Mod Podge Work on Shoes?
Yes, it does. Mod Podge is a water-based adhesive that works well on most surfaces, including wood, paper, fabric, and shoes. It is also waterproof, which makes it an excellent choice for projects like sealing the seams of canvas tents or making a waterproof cover for your surfboard.
What Paint Is Best for Splatter?
The best paint for splatter is white or black-based paint. This will give the best effect and make your painting more visible. Some of the reasons why you should use a white or black-based paint are:
- White will give an overall brighter look to your painting.
- Black will darken the colors in your painting and create contrast, making it easier to see what’s going on in your artwork.
So I hope you have read the whole article on how to splatter paint on shoes. If so, we recommend starting with a canvas sneaker. A canvas shoe will not only be easier to clean up, but it’ll also give you more room for creative expression.
Plus, if all goes well and your design is intricate enough, you might just have the perfect new pair of kicks! Now that you know how easy it can be to get started in this process of turning shoes into works of art, go forth and create some awesome masterpieces.
You may read also – How to Paint Shoe Soles